"The objective of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape and find oneself in the lines of the madmen." - Marcus Aurelius

11/15/10

Summer Sailing

Inspired by my first attempt at the lolita style, I decided to make a dress with a sailor collar. My mother liked it without the collar, but  the beauty of making your own clothes means you can add or subtract whatever aspects you like.




Pattern: Butterick 6352
Fabric: Printed cotton

I raided a family member's horde of sewing patterns, and most of the ones I kept were already cut out anywhere from 6 to 12 sizes bigger than me, so I had to get creative with math. Butterick 6352 is the pattern I now use for the majority of my dresses. It's old, so I don't expect other people to have this, and I'm looking for a newer pattern. 

I used this tutorial for the collar. There are definitely things I would do differently next time. The ascot is a badly cut scrap of fabric, but I'll make a nicer one later. As far as first dresses go, this one's pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment