"The objective of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape and find oneself in the lines of the madmen." - Marcus Aurelius

11/17/10

Blue

This could technically be a lolita skirt/dress thing, but it doesn't have to be. Either way, I love blue; it's my favorite color, and I have it on high authority that I look good in the darker shades. So I picked out the fabric and said "Hey! Let's make a skirt."

I actually used a pattern for this one (McCall's 5811), but, since nothing ever fits my hips like it's suppose to, the opening for the waist was too small. But I was not to be deterred! I simply made it an empire-waist skirt instead. I made the waistband extra-wide, and I really should have used a longer zipper (read: 9" instead of 7") since I was making the waist so much longer, but that's what you get when you don't think these things through. At the bottom of the skirt is a band of ruffles, and let me tell you something about ruffles. I love them, but they are a hassle. Every time I sit down to make something that includes ruffles, I wonder why, if I hate doing them so much, I continue to make things with ruffles. The answer is simply: they look pretty.
Paired with a blue button-down, this outfit was amazing. I wore a petticoat, bloomers and tights underneath, although the petticoat was honestly unnecessary. It made it's first appearance at the High Museum of Art on college night when the Dali exhibit was there. I got so many complements from strangers! Proof that I can make pretty things, right here. But now to the important part.


:D Salmon and I got our pictures taken while we were there! Look out boys, we're going professional. In case you're wondering where you've seen that hoodie before, it's over on Salmon's blog. :3 We are terrible, terrible influences on each other. And don't worry, all the hoodies she's inspired me to paint on are soon to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment