"The objective of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape and find oneself in the lines of the madmen." - Marcus Aurelius

11/17/10

The Scarlet Witch

One of my favorite characters of all time is the Scarlet Witch from the Marvel universe. Her real name is Wanda Maximoff, sister to Pietro (or Quicksilver), and daughter of Magneto. At least one of those names should sound familiar to you. She's one of the original Avengers, and she originally had the power to manipulate possibilities, which was later explained as chaos magic, and which now has developed into the ability to warp reality to her every whim, which caused a fine fiasco in the form of House of M.

Wanda's outfit has some variations, and this is Marvel, so you have to deal with alternate reality versions of everything on top of that. Knowing this, I wanted to go with her classical, older look, but without the pink bodysuit (just the tights), because no. And that classical look is what she's shown wearing in Children's Crusade, anyway :3
Old-school Wanda

New-school Wanda
I don't even want to go into how much research I did the cape just to get it to fall right. Suffice to say: pleat, don't ruffle, capes. It looks better that way. I decided on a cowl neck, but no. I know better now. The headpiece was made out of red vinyl fabric (it's just one piece, cut out at once) with black elastic around the back.
This was before the elastic, so I'm just holding to my head, lol
I really liked the shorter gloves better, but I ended up going with opera-length, because they're easier to find. I tried making the ones I wanted SO MANY TIMES, but the universe, it seems, hated me. The boots are standard red superhero boots that I bought off eBay. I didn't have the time to figure out a strapless bustier/leotard thing, so I bought a bathing suit (which I didn't initially realize had an embossed pattern all over it, thanks eBay) and took it in between the breast a bit to get that look (you know that look). And so here it is, in all it's glory:

Pictures were taken Halloween weekend, since I'm an idiot and only wore it for 2 or 3 hours that Monday of Dragon*Con, and didn't get anyone to take a picture of me with my camera. And I am definitely waiting for another costume to come along that can utilize these boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment