"The objective of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape and find oneself in the lines of the madmen." - Marcus Aurelius

11/15/10

An Intro to Lolita

Starting sometime January or February of last year, I became interested in lolita fashion. Particularly the Victorian aesthetic, which is why I've also found a niche in steampunk. Lolita fashion in this aesthetic typically looks like a cross between modern prints and vintage construction, with extra frilly details. There are a whole slew of sub-styles within lolita fashion, and there are far more comprehensive descriptions of them out there in the internet. If you see this and think it's interesting, go research it! There are some mindsets around the fashion that I find fault with, so I'll say this: please do not let the actions of a few determine your judgment of the whole group.


Pattern: Simplicity New Look 6699
Fabric: black damask something from my mother's stash

My first attempt was created by modifying the Simplicity New Look 6699 pattern to be more of a jumper or overall-style skirt. It was really all I had at the time, and I messed up the skirt portion by sewing a line right down the middle of the front. Not attractive.

No comments:

Post a Comment