"The objective of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape and find oneself in the lines of the madmen." - Marcus Aurelius

11/16/10

The Royal Purple

The first serious attempt at a lolita dress. Can you tell I'm pleased with myself?


Pattern: Butterick 6352
Fabric: 

There are two rows of ruffles above and below the black lace on the skirt portion (which are actually pleated because I didn't know how to do ruffles at the time), and I'm not happy with one of the sleeves but whatever. I later added bows and attempted a reverse Austrian Bustle (which is actually a bridal/prom gown technique)so that I could pull some strings and draw up the back of the skirt into a bustle like so: 


My attempt involved two lines of grommets down the back of the dress, which I threaded with ribbon and tied underneath the skirt so the ribbon didn't show as much. It didn't work so well, but I have gained valuable insight from it nonetheless. 

And also: a petticoat!

No comments:

Post a Comment