"The objective of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape and find oneself in the lines of the madmen." - Marcus Aurelius

3/26/11

Rainbow Cupcakes

I am always in the kitchen. Making things (mostly dessert things) is apparently my lifeskill. And, I mean, rainbows. They are everywhere in my life. So! Rainbow cupcakes:
They're super easy to make, guys! So first, you get a box of white cake mix: it has to be white, so that the colors set in without changing during the baking or whatever. You mix it like it tells you to, and yes, you even follow that bit about only adding the egg whites and leave out the egg yoke. It's interesting and messy the first time you do it, but it totes gets easier, I swear.

So you've got your mix made, and you split it up into different containers, one for each color. I usually do 5 colors, since any more gets tedious and any less = not enough color. So my 5 colors for this particular batch (and this was back in February, when I didn't have all my colors) were pink, purple, burgundy, blue, and green. These are all Wilton gel colors, because those cheap liquid colors you can get at Target and WalMart? Don't come out the color you think it will. Never. Just trust me on this one.
So you color your divided mixes. I don't have fancy spatulas or anything, so I usually end up using butter knives. Just make sure you mix everything really well! The advantage of having clear containers to do the mixing in is that you can see the bottom, where you've managed to miss mixing in the color. After you're done mixing, just spoon the colors into the baking cups in a muffin/cupcake tray and pop them in the oven!
The cool thing about it is that the colors just sit on top of each other. Sure, they expand and move around some in the oven while they bake, but for the most part, they're stationary. Unless you want to swirl them together a bit, in which case you can take a toothpick, a fork, or something similar and stick it in the poured mix and swirl it around a bit. Just be careful not to completely mix it together, because that comes out some weird, nasty brown. And who wants to eat brown cupcakes? Lame.
And when they come out, they look like this! (This is the other pan, so of course it looks different from the previous picture, but you get the idea.) And because it's not a cupcake without icing, and I'm fancy like that, I made pink icing (regular icing, but add some of the same coloring I used for the batter), put it in a bag with a fancy tip, and had at it!
And there you have it. Rainbow cupcakes! Go forth :3

No comments:

Post a Comment