"The objective of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape and find oneself in the lines of the madmen." - Marcus Aurelius

3/6/12

It might be too colorful even for me...

So I love this coat guys. The only thing that really irks me is that because the liner is sewn to the outer fabric, the coat can get stuck in odd shapes, most of which make my wide hips look even wider. If I could go back and do it over, I'd take some spray adhesive to that coat, for real. So here, have some crap shots from my bathroom mirror.



So most of those are ridiculously blurry. Oops? This is why I can't be my own photographer. It just doesn't work.

I've got 12 mismatched buttons, some of which are in shapes, unlike the coat from the movie. I'd advise using buttons that are all about the same size, so you're not like me and go from a gaping button hole for that giant yellow button to a tiny one for the flamingo right after it. It looks a little weird when the jacket's left open.

So yeah, that's my Penelope Coat :)

8 comments:

  1. congratulation
    perhaps a bit too colorful for real life! It's true. But it is very similar.

    J'arrête là en anglais ^^ J'ai bien envie d'essayer aussi... mais peut-être avec des couleurs moins voyantes :)

    Encore bravo pour ton travail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The colors are awfully bright. I really stand out on public transportation :)

      Delete
  2. I love this! I was watching the movie just now and wondered if anyone made/sold it. Congrats on completing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I wondered that too, and why no one talks about this lovely movie! I'd seen some "inspired by" coats, but nothing close to the movie version. It had to be done, and if I had to be the first to do so, who am I to complain?

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! I love the Movie. I would love to make one for myself ( I can't really sew, i made some medieval dresses for myself, they are fairly simple, thats all).

    But this really is an inspiration to start. Could you maybe send me the pattern ( kamama@cactus-practice.com) or do you sell it somewhere on etsy or ravelry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I can inspire people to start sewing! The biggest thing I've learned over the years is to make a practice item out of scrap fabric/fabric you don't really care about when you start a difficult project. I used Butterick pattern 5425, which you can find either online or in basically any fabric store. I work part-time at a Hancock Fabrics now, and patterns typically go on sale every couple of weeks for about $1, so I'd suggest getting a sales ad and waiting for the Butterick ones to go on sale! Totally worth it.

      Be patient, and good luck!

      Delete
  4. I've been thinking about doing a Penelope coat for about a year now and have checked your blog for reference — and admiration — several times and just today realized that I ran into you right before Dragon*Con 2013 at Hancock's (buying extras for my costumes, naturally). Cool coincidence. I'd love to see your coat in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much would you want for that coat, and what size is it in?

    ReplyDelete