"The objective of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape and find oneself in the lines of the madmen." - Marcus Aurelius

1/15/12

Penelope Coat

So my next big project is this coat:

It's from the movie Penelope, featuring Christina Ricci and James Mcavoy.

I read somewhere that the ladies in charge of costume design were told to make a coat that looked like it belonged in a fairytale first of all, because that's what Penelope is, and secondly like someone took everything they thought would look cool and put it into one coat, with crazy colors and imperfect trim and somehow it all works. These ladies finished the coat literally right before they put it on Christina Ricci's body and sent her off to start filming, praying that it would fit.

I've already started, so of course after I've got all my materials, more close-up pics show up on the web. I'm making it mostly accurate to the movie coat, but there are some things that just have to change, either because I didn't have good reference shots to begin with, or out of necessity. My lining is different, but really, whatever. Second, it may be fine for someone to run around a movie set with a floor length coat, but that's actually dangerous and infuriating in real life. Especially if you're like me and live in a downtown urban environment where you really don't want to know what you just stepped in on the street. So my coat is shorter. Some of the orange trim to the seams are different, mostly because I didn't have good refs but also because I couldn't be bothered, and the buttons are going to be different but just as mismatched as the original.

So if you're still reading this, let's see how this goes, shall we?

1 comment:

  1. I can not wait to see this develop... it's going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete